Bodysurfing is a thrilling water activity that allows you to ride waves without using a surfboard. It requires skill, agility, and a deep connection with the ocean. While traditional bodysurfing involves riding waves with just your body, a handplane can take your bodysurfing experience to the next level.
A handplane is a small, hydrodynamic board held in your hand and helps lift your body out of the water, giving you more speed and control. This article will explore how to bodysurf using a handplane, from choosing the right handplane to catching and riding waves like a pro.
Whether you’re a seasoned surfer or a newcomer to the sport, this guide will help you elevate your bodysurfing skills and enjoy the thrill of riding waves like never before.
How to bodysurf using a handplane
Bodysurfing with a handplane can be a fun and exhilarating experience, but getting the hang of it requires some practice and skill. Here are some steps to follow to help you learn how to bodysurf using a handplane:
- Choose the right handplane: A handplane should be lightweight, buoyant, and fit comfortably in your hand. Look for a handplane appropriate for your body size and weight, and choose a design that suits your style.
- Position yourself properly in the water where the waves are breaking. You want to face the shore with your body parallel to the wave’s direction.
- Time your entry: Wait for the right moment to enter the wave. You want to join just before the wave is about to break. This will give you the most speed and control.
- Hold the handplane correctly: Hold the handplane with your dominant hand, and keep your arm straight. Place your other arm in front of your body for balance.
- Kick to generate speed: Use your legs to kick and generate speed as you enter the wave. This will help you gain momentum and lift your body out of the water.
- Use the handplane to control your direction: As you start to ride the wave, use the handplane to steer your body and control your direction. For example, tilt the handplane in your desired direction and carve through the wave.
- Practice, practice, practice: Like any sport, bodysurfing with a handplane takes an approach. Keep trying and experimenting with different techniques until you find what works best for you.
By following these steps and practicing regularly, you can become a skilled handplane bodysurfer and experience the thrill of riding waves like never before. Remember to prioritize safety and respect for the ocean while enjoying this exciting sport.
Here are some additional tips and tricks to help you bodysurf with a handplane:
- Start with small waves: If you’re new to bodysurfing with a handplane, start with smaller waves and work up to larger ones. This will help you build confidence and skills without putting yourself in danger.
- Watch the waves: Before entering a wave, take a moment to observe its size and shape. This will help you time your entry and choose the best angle for riding the wave.
- Practice your kicks: Your leg kicks are crucial for generating speed and momentum when bodysurfing with a handplane. Practice different types of kicks, such as scissor kicks or dolphin kicks, to find what works best for you.
- Lean into the wave: As you ride a wave, lean your body into it to maintain speed and control. Keep your eyes fixed on the shore and use your handplane to carve through the water.
- Stay relaxed: Bodysurfing with a handplane requires focus and control, but relaxing and having fun are essential. Don’t tense up or panic if things don’t go as planned. Instead, enjoy the ride and embrace the thrill of being in the ocean.
By following these tips and practicing regularly, you can become a skilled bodysurfer with a handplane and experience the rush of riding waves like never before. Remember to prioritize safety and respect for the ocean, and never push yourself beyond your limits.
Bodysurfing with a handplane is an exciting and challenging way to ride waves and experience the ocean. It requires skill, practice, and a deep connection with the water. Following the steps outlined in this guide, you can learn the basics of bodysurfing with a handplane and develop your skills over time.
Remember to prioritize safety and respect for the ocean, and never push yourself beyond your limits. With practice and perseverance, you can become a skilled bodysurfer with a handplane and enjoy the thrill of riding waves like never before. So grab your handplane, head to the beach, and get ready to ride the waves!